Saturday, March 12, 2011

Introduction and Slipcover Redo!


Maybe I should do a little introduction of myself before I start with this post. 

In October of 2010 my husband and I and our 3 kids moved into our new house that we built on an acreage.  When I say built I mean we were our very own general contractors for the project and did quite a bit of the work ourselves. I might detail more on that later.  However,  it has always been our dream to raise our family on an acreage and we have finally made that jump.  The only draw back is that now that we have built our beautiful house out of town it has left little money for decorating.  I have decided to share my attempts at decorating and organizing my house without spending a lot of cash.

Without further ado here is a hide-a-bed couch we received from a great Aunt Ethel years ago that I have not been able to get rid of because it is in great condition and has served itself useful in providing a bed for those times when we have had more guests that we have had beds.   


This is a photo of the couch in our old house.  Underneath the slipcover is pale, hospital green, upholstery.  The denim slipcover worked for a while, however, it definitely does not suit our new house. 

Alternative 1: Bleach
Alternative 2: Buy a new one to the tune of at least $85.

I received great warning about how bleach usually leaves your item blotchy colored and can even eat holes through the fibers.
What did I have to lose though?  I didn't like it in the first place.
Cost: $3.69 x 2 vs. $85 min.

2 bottles of bleach later I am loving the results.  The color is completely uniform.  There is not a spot of the original blue denim left and I am left with this great creamy slipcover for a plain backdrop to the rest of the playroom.  There are not even any holes.

Product used:  Javex 'fiber guard'


Stay tuned for more photos of the playroom as it progresses.  We have also created a great indoor playhouse in the closet off the playroom using leftover building materials.  More posts on that to come as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment